Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 33: Vivacious Lady

My weekend was amazing, largely because I did absolutely nothing. It was nice to take a few days to just kind of relax. I didn't leave the house much, I read a few books, and I watched a movie or two. It was bliss. Pure and simple.

I spent much of Saturday reading "Eona" the sequel to "Eon" by Alison Goodman. Oh. My. Goodness. SO GOOD! There really aren't words to convey how engrossing, and just generally amazing these two books are. I was completely captivated by the first, and was hard-pressed to put the second one down. If I were to describe these two books in one word it would be Epic.

If you're looking for something new to read I definitely recommend this duology. It's absolutely fantastic!

It was near noon or so when I originally sat down to read. The house was completely quiet since the rest of the family was out and about for the morning. It's not often that I get the house to myself. So just out of curiosity I flipped on the TV and shuffled through a couple channels.

This is when I ran across the Turner Classic Movie channel. It just so happened that this month they are featuring a different star everyday, and Saturday they were featuring James(Jimmy) Stewart. When I flipped to the TCM channel the 'Vivacious Lady' was just starting, and within the first few minutes of the show I was hooked. What a cool movie!

This trailer that I found on YouTube gives you an idea of the film if you're not familiar with it:


I watched that, and then returned to my book. By the end of the day I finished reading "Eona", and once again I want you to know I was blown away. I mean, what are you doing? You need to read this book! SO GOOD!

Having finished my book, and yet too caught up in what I had just read to even think about starting another book right away, I began obsessively searching the Internet trying to find 'Vivacious Lady' on DVD, or maybe even on netflix. As it turned out this was no simple task.

I couldn't find it anywhere... until I finally did late Sunday night. A copy is now on it's way to my house. I'm excited! In between searching for this DVD and beginning a new book, which I may talk about in a later post as I haven't formed too many opinions of it yet, I watched 'Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation' on netflix.

Again it's an old black and white James Stewart movie. It was a cute/funny movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. That put's my current James Stewart movie count at four. In addition to the two that I've previously mentioned here, I've also seen 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "The Shop Around the Corner", each of which are absolutely delightful.

So that's what I've come away with this weekend, a handful of book/old movie recommendations. Have you read/watched anything particularly great lately?

I'll talk to you soon.

No comments: