Friday, September 02, 2011

Week 35: The Book Talk Tag

The other day I watched this video on YouTube, and thought it'd be interesting to answer the questions here, so I'm going to. I've pasted the video in for reference, and my responses, as you can see appear below.

The video that inspired this post. Click here to see, because I couldn't figure out how to embed videos now...


1. What are you reading right now?


Right now I am reading "Department 19" by Will Hill. I'm about 100 pages away from the end and loving it so far. I'll probably finish it before bed tonight. I definitely recommend checking it out.


2. What's on your to-read list?


There are a TON of books on my to read list. In fact, I have a whole shelf dedicated to books that I have yet to read. We'd be here all night. A great place to see what I have read, or intend to read though is my Good Reads Account.


But, for the sake of answering this question, the very next book I intend to read is "The Girl in the Steel Corset" by Kady Cross.


3. What genres do you prefer?


I always feel like it's a cop-out to say that I read everything, or just about everything, but it's true. I guess really what I read the most is fantasy. About 80% of the books that I own or have read are fantasy/sci-fi.


4. Must-have books in your library?


Again, there are a ton of must haves in my library, but I'll limit myself to two authors. Tamora Pierce and Jane Austen are most definite must-haves in my personal library.


5. Three of your favorite authors?


Oh dear, these questions are so hard! Only three?!


Ok, so the first one would definitely be Maureen Johnson. I am always so captivated by her characters and the crazy situations that they find themselves in.


Number two, Patricia Briggs. I absolutely ADORE the Mercy Thompson series. It's just so incredibly good, and each time I finish one of her books I impatiently anticipate the follow-up.


And, ok, my third favorite... Libba Bray. She is such a great story teller. I love spending an afternoon (or the better part of what are supposed to be sleeping hours) getting lost in her books. She is simply astounding.


6. Guilty pleasure books?


The twilight series. I will not lie, I was completely captivated by them, and have a feeling if I were to pick it up again would be captivated by it all over again. I don't know how to explain what the appeal was... But in the moment of reading them I definitely had moments where I thought that they were just SO good, and then immeditely after finishing the final one I began to wonder what I had been thinking. *shrugs*


7. What do you think about current trends in literature?


When thinking this question over, the major trend that comes to mind is the way that certain authors/publishing houses seem to be jumping onto trend bandwagons. What I mean here is when a certain book, or general plot seems to be doing well, you suddenly see a TON of books that all seem to have a premise similar to that original.


The thing is, is that eventually you find that the writing isn't stellar enough to keep you interested as the plot devolves into the same plot that you've read lately in several different series, and that each of the series show no signs of coming to a conclusion anytime soon.


I hate it when a series doesn't know how to end, because as much as you can love a set of characters within a story, eventually enough is enough. I'm sure you all know which books I'm talking about. There have been a few series already that I've started and stopped reading 3 or 4 books in because it seemed like there was never going to be a resolution.... (Each of those series are now up to at least 6-7 books now, and STILL show no signs of stopping...)


So, yeah. Those were my responses to The Book Talk Tag. You should leave you're answers in the comments, or on your blog and leave a link for me in the comments... you know, if you want to. Anyway thanks for reading!


I'll talk to you soon.


No comments: