Saturday, October 15, 2011

Week 41: Online Degree, The Future

I'm not really sure how it is that I managed to really start looking into finishing my degree online. I mean, I've considered it, but I haven't really taken the opportunity to sit down and investigate the options that are out there. It's definitely something that I need to continue considering and investigating.

It's just, I'm not really sure what it is that I want to do. There is an extent to which I'd like to finish what I've started as far as my degree in Journalism, and yet there's another part of me that wonders if that's wise when I'm not 100% sure that's even the direction that I want to pursue anymore. I mean, yes I really enjoy writing, but as I found during my year at MSU being a Journalist is about SO much more than writing. Anyone can write, and being a Journalist isn't about being a stellar writer anyway (although it certainly helps).

Do I even have what it takes? I know I do, that's a challenge that I can rise to. But... It's just such an investment of time and money, and the future is so uncertain no matter what choice I ultimately make. This isn't anything I'm going to be making a definitive decision on right now.

I guess the point that I'm coming to, or at least my original point before I became mired in all this inner dialogue, it that if I can find a legit online program then it would serve my interests at the moment, because I don't really have the time or the flexibility to take 'traditional' classes. Working full time doesn't allow me the flexibility that working part time did, but I can't afford not to be full time. It's the catch 22 of life really.

For now I'll continue to look into the whole online degree thing. Do you know anyone that's ever completed a degree online? What did they have to say about it?

I'll talk to you soon.

No comments: