Friday, November 04, 2011

Week 44: HP Challenge Day 3- Skipped Details?

So I just realized that in yesterday's post I forgot to post the actual question, but I think it was pretty obvious what the question was so, for now, I'm not going to go back and edit in the question. Anyway, I'm merely pointing out the fact that I forgot to include it yesterday, so that I can get to introducing today's question, which is: Is there any of the film adaptations that have made you angry because they’ve ignored important parts of the book? 

Truly I was a little disappointed when the third movie came out. Having read all of the books it was easy for me to understand why certain things were the way that they were, but you definitely got the sense that someone who hadn't read the books would be a bit lost. 

Honestly, it's been a while since I've even watched the third film at this point, but if I'm recalling correctly it just seemed like there were a lost of key plot elements that were thrown in with very little (or no) explanation on how exactly they fit in. 

But ultimately that is generally the biggest issue when a book is translated into a movie. Too many of the minor details aren't able to make it into the film due to time constraints and then the film is left lacking for those that love the book. 

Since that movie though, I learned to really separate the 'book series' from the 'movie series' in my mind. Were I asked to truly pit the books against the movies, I'd always say the books are better.... but the movies, as they stand alone, are good in their own right. As movies, I enjoy them.  

No comments: