Thursday, February 05, 2009

Bearing Witness

I own this documentary that I’m particularly fond of called, “Bearing Witness “. It follows four female war correspondents who recount their careers to that date. They also talk about what drove them to lives they lead and why they continue to honor the paths that they have chosen.

At one point in the documentary one of the women talks about the role of journalists in general. I need to watch it again because I can’t seem to recall the quote fully, but I remember the gist of it. Journalism, she points out, is about being there and bearing witness. It’s about being a voice willing to speak out, and fighting to be heard in the place of those who stand voiceless.

Sometimes I lose track of what my ultimate goal is. Sometimes the stress that comes coupled with paying for school, and finding the time to study as well as work is so overwhelming that my path’s purpose becomes hazy.

I want to be a journalist because I want to be that voice for those who find they have none. My dad once saw me watching that documentary and he wasn’t too thrilled by the idea of his daughter in a war zone. I’m not saying that I want to go to war zones and report, but I am saying that I am prepared to follow my path where it may lead.

I want to be that journalist who isn’t afraid to pursue the truth, and speak the truth. I want to be a voice for the voiceless. Journalism is my major because I want to bear witness.

No comments: