Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Waiting and Reading

Today was rather uneventful as those things go. I spent a good deal of the morning watching for the mail to arrive, and was sorely disappointed when neither a response from MSU or WCC arrived. I know that WCC will let me know through the mail, but MSU is another story. They might e-mail me, or they might send it by way of snail-mail.

Not knowing is driving me crazy. I really want to know.

I finished reading the first half of the first omnibus in L.J. Smith’s Vampire Diaries series. I love it! It’s amazing. The thing that I love about her stories is that the female protagonists aren’t damsels in distress. They are strong members of society, and though they may not always realize their own strength they come to realize it. She does not write whiney characters, and I love that because I can’t stand reading a whiney character.

Her characters aren’t always the obvious hero, but in those moments that count they find the strength to be leaders even if they don’t want to assume that responsibility. The other thing that I really enjoy about her stories is that she is able to maintain a balance. Just because her female leads are strong, her male leads aren’t portrayed as weak. The characters are all one equal footing, which is important for realistic plotting. If you haven’t previously checked out anything by her I highly recommend that you do. She’s wonderful.

No comments: