Thursday, June 11, 2009

3.5 Hours

So I opted to watch the movie last night, which turned into this morning and resulted in my garnering approximately three and half hours of sleep before having to get up and go to work. Perhaps it wasn't the greatest idea, but I can't say that I wouldn't make the same decision over again. I'm a glutton for sleep deprivation, obviously.

It was a busy day at work today. They had me out of my department and running a register on two separate occasions. Although it's nice to stay busy I guess, it makes the time go by faster. Now if only they would learn to turn on the air conditioning...

In other work related news, I'd like to relay this exchange I had with a customer at some point during the last hour of my shift.

ME: Hello.
Customer: Hey beautiful, how's it going?
ME: (Deciding not to address comment, but avoid being rude.) I'm good, how are you?
Customer: Good. Good. [pause, smile] You know your name, or you should. [walks off]

I'm fairly certain that I have pointed this out before, but I continue to be baffled so I think it's alright to repeat the inquiry. Why do you older men feel that it is incumbent upon them to react in this manner when a female retail employee greats them? And, further how the hell do you even respond? To respond by denying their statement results in the inevitable possibility of prolonged conversation in which they assert that you are wrong. This defeats the goal of ending the awkward situation. However, to accept or seem to accept the compliment also inevitably leads to some perception of conceit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not super annoyed with situation described above. I'm just curious, and it was an interesting piece to include here. Anyway, the deal with the guy today was far preferable to Hickey Guy. Eh. All in all it was just another day in the world of corporate owned retail.

No comments: